Jon helps people who find themselves under investigation by the government. He has represented individuals and businesses against various U.S. Attorneys’ Offices and the U.S. Department of Justice, as well as the Securities Exchange Commission, Commodity Futures Trading Commission, and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. Recent matters have involved allegations of bribery and kickbacks, money laundering, environmental violations, healthcare fraud, theft of trade secrets, and manipulation of energy markets.
A former investigator and risk consultant, Jon handles white collar defense as well as internal investigations and compliance reviews. Jon works closely with clients to understand their business and develop the facts of each case, no matter how technical. He is known for being both meticulous and thorough, often identifying evidence overlooked by others, and for distilling complex factual scenarios into clear, concise narratives, whether for presentation to senior management, the government, or a jury.
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SCHOOL OF LAW
JD, with honors, 2014 (Articles Editor, Texas Law Review)
UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO
BA, with honors, 2003
LAW CLERK TO THE HON. SIM LAKE
United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, 2014-2015
QUINN EMANUEL URQUHART & SULLIVAN LLP
KROLL – BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE & INVESTIGATIONS
Analyst, Senior Analyst, and Director, 2008-2011
NEW YORK CITY CIVILIAN COMPLAINT REVIEW BOARD
As an attorney
- Member of trial team in in United States v. Kaluza, where our client was acquitted of all charges stemming from the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill. Jon persuaded the court to exclude a co-defendant’s plea agreement from evidence, leading to what the Wall Street Journal called “a critical moment“ in the case: the government’s primary witness providing candid testimony more favorable to the defense.
- Member of trial team in Vantage v. Petrobras, an international arbitration in which the client faced allegations of both foreign bribery and violation of offshore safety and environmental regulations. Jon developed the technical side of the case, working with drilling experts to break down complex operational issues and show that blame for any deficiencies lay elsewhere. Following a 12-day hearing, the tribunal agreed, and the client was awarded $734 million in damages and interest.
- Successfully represented multiple individuals in cases where the government either closed its investigation or proceeded against others, including:
- A senior executive of an offshore drilling contractor under investigation by DOJ and SEC for potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- The former CFO of an international oilfield services company under investigation by DOJ and SEC for alleged foreign bribery and accounting violations.
- A small business owner under investigation by SEC for involvement in an alleged pyramid scheme and cryptocurrency fraud.
- A Japanese executive under investigation by DOJ’s Antitrust Division for alleged price fixing.
- A local hospital under investigation by two United States Attorney’s Offices for allegedly paying kickbacks for referrals.
- The owner of an energy trading firm under investigation by CFTC for suspected violations of the Commodity Exchange Act.
As an investigator
- Conducted multiple internal investigations for corporate clients concerned about potential bribery and kickbacks, offshore tax evasion, leaks of confidential information, and other sensitive matters.
- As outside consultant to New York City Mayor’s Office, devised and directed first-of-its-kind undercover investigation into illegal sale of firearms over the internet.
- As independent monitor for New York County District Attorney’s Office, carried out monitorship of seven retailers subject to deferred prosecution agreements, coordinating undercover buys, auditing records, and reviewing compliance policies.
- As outside auditor for City of Stamford, Connecticut, led investigation into theft and diversion of city property, coordinating with law enforcement, briefing prosecutors, and preparing final report for the City Attorney.
- In response to cyberattack on client’s business, used information buried in company’s servers to identify culprit – a former employee – and developed sufficient evidence to secure guilty plea in federal court and $800,000 in restitution to client.
- As part of integrated consumer safety and brand protection initiatives, conducted covert investigations into counterfeiting and diversion of medical supplies, luxury goods, and energy drinks.
- As investigator with New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board, handled over fifty cases of alleged misconduct by members of the NYPD, including excessive force, abuse of authority, and complex search and seizure violations.